San Francisco teacher Melissa guides you through this exhilarating, fast-moving workout. Melissa’s engaging personality will make you feel like you’re right in the studio with her, and she will motivate you to give every exercise your personal best. You will increase your stamina with foldover and improve your turnout with arabesque.
What you’ll need:
• A sturdy chair or portable bar
• A soft strap for stretching (bathrobe tie)
• Two free weights (2 to 4 pounds each)
• A 7” diameter playground or Bar Method ball
• Two firm oversized throw pillows
• We suggest doing the class on a carpet, rug or mat
Kick off with pushups!
• 20 of them to sculpt your arms and chest and spike your heart rate. Melissa gets your heart rate up quickly.
• Sculpted arms and chest.
• Toned back muscles.
• Greater shoulders stability.
• Tighter abs.
• A more lifted seat.
• Significant caloric burn.
Related Bar Method Online Video:
Melissa gets your heart rate up right away in this fast paced Mini Class pure barre video. You won’t need weights because your arms will be sculpted with push ups and reverse push ups. You’ll change the shape of your thighs with knee dancing, carve your hamstrings with seat-work while squeezing on a small mat or towel, and shrink your waist with the fun-to-do ab-tightening exercise “straight leg clam.”
Tone your biceps in a wide 2nd position:
• This challenging stance for biceps curls will tone your legs and seat as well as your arms.
• Shapes and elongates the biceps.
• Works the stabilizer muscles in your upper back.
• Improved posture.
Next you will lift free-weights to the front by doing “bent-elbow lifts”:
• You will lifts weights to the front, side and back with a focus on posture and good form.
• Toned shoulder mucsles.
• Sculpted back mucsles with an emphasis on your lats.
• Improved posture.
Then you lift a lighter weight to the back during one-weight lifts.
• You will use a lighter weight to tone and strengthen the back of your arms and your back muscles.
• Sculpts the back of your shoulders.
• Tones your upper back mucsles.
• Improved posture.
• Works your legs so you continue to burn calories.
Onward to 20 more pushups and then a plank to strengthen your core:
• The pushups will rev up your heart rate and then you will strengthen your core with plank.
• Narrows your waist, side and back.
• Tones your glutes.
And reverse push ups:
• This fast exercise will quickly shape and tone your arms. Work hard to do them correctly.
• Carves your triceps.
• Narrows your upper arm so that it looks both sculpted and slender.
Put away your weights, get your ball and go right to the bar!
Shape your calves with heel lifts:
• Strengthens your calf muscles.
• Lengthens the look of your legs.
• Warms up your legs to get them ready for thigh work.
Move right into achieving the glutes of a dancer with the challenging “arabesque.”
• Strengthens and shapes all the muscles in the back of your torso.
• Lifts and shapes your upper glutes.
Get your ball ready to do thigh work:
• You will tone and slim your thighs with two consecutive sets of thigh-work, starting in parallel and then moving into the same wide stance you did in warm up.
• Toned, slimmer thighs.
• Substantial calorie burn-off
• Increased stamina.
• Leaner body overall.
More seat work!
• Your seat will have a whole new look and feel after Melissa’s seat shaping fold-over choreography.
• Lifts both sides of your seat at the same time.
• Is a calorie burning powerhouse.
Then more thigh work and push ups!
• Melissa guides you through your last 2 sets of thigh in a wide turned-out diamond shape and then back to sprinting through a last parallel thigh. Finish with 20 more push ups.
• Gives you beautiful dancer’s legs.
• Narrows and carves down your outer thighs.
• Sprinting in intervals to give you maximum burn.
• Stretch and elongate your shaky muscles on your mat.
• Elongates your quads and hamstrings.
• Increases the range of motion in your legs.
• Streamlines the front of your body.
Right onto “curl”
• You will get your abdominals toned with 4 sets of curl: straight leg clam, high curl using the ball, oblique low curl and arm dancing.
• A sculpted six pack and obliques.
• Significant calorie burn.
• Give you more control of your core.
• Flattens and narrows your waist.
Now for the fun part: back-dancing!
• A healthier lower back and hips.
• Lifted and carved seat muscles.
• Enhanced coordination.
Your final stretch:
• Release from stretch.
• More elongated leg muscles.
• Better performance from your body the next time you work out.
To see more videos,
Click to view all the videos in our Premier membership.
Click to view all of our Classic Videos at Bar Method Online.
Click to view all of the Mini Class fitness videos online at Bar Method Online.